Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Anger..

Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, affliction, anger, from Old Norse angr grief; akin to Old English enge narrow, Latin angere to strangle, Greek anchein
1 : a strong feeling of displeasure and usually of antagonism
2 : RAGE
synonyms ANGER, IRE, RAGE, FURY, INDIGNATION, WRATH mean an intense emotional state induced by displeasure.
ANGER, the most general term, names the reaction but in itself conveys nothing about intensity or justification or manifestation of the emotional state .
IRE, more frequent in literary contexts, may suggest greater intensity than anger, often with an evident display of feeling .
RAGE suggests loss of self-control from violence of emotion .
FURY is overmastering destructive rage that can verge on madness .
INDIGNATION stresses righteous anger at what one considers unfair, mean, or shameful .
WRATH is likely to suggest a desire or intent to revenge or punish .
I was trying to verbalize my anger.. the extent of it, the volume of it, and could not find the words. Good old Merriam-Webster Dictionary seemed to cover the jist of it. I have been referred to as a control freak. I am not offended. I am a control freak. So it goes that it does not sit well with me that I can not control my anger. Although now that I have read an extended definition, I prefer Fury or Wrath, maybe even both. I can be performing the simplest of tasks and it comsumes me suddenly. That bastard is going about his life, while we are struggling to grieve and raise our family in this new world we have been forced to live in. I can't bring myself to accept the so-called process of justice. We struggle and suffer every day. Brian works much too hard to support all of us. Anger, Fury, Wrath, you betcha..

1 comment:

Gray Lady said...

It's certainly justified anger. I made a choice to do what I'm doing, and can choose to stop. What you're doing is much harder because the situation not only was thrust on you, it was thrust on you by a deed that should not go unpunished. Rage, wrath. Yeah, all good ones, and venting it all is necessary to keep going. Thinking of you.