Monday, August 07, 2006

The wind, the water, and the wonder..

Kayaking was great! I really love my sidekick kayak. It handled alot better than I thought. Terri has a Twist, one-person kayak and it was just as heavy as mine, but alot shorter. The weather was good to us, a light breeze over the water, and we are both wearing the results of direct sun on water without enough sunscreen! I am glad I wore a hat. We ended up on a lake on the interior side of Guana park. The intercoastal was about to go out to low tide and we wouldn't have been able to get back in until after 2pm. We were out from about 10am-12pm. We paddled about half of the lake. Still dark water, but saltwater. Saw several large jellyfish which were interesting. And Terri had a mullet jump in her boat. She did a good job of tossing him back without tipping! It felt good to be back out there. I had a few moments when I checked the time and realized it was almost 11:15, on a Sunday, and I was out on the water. I closed my eyes and coasted for a minute. Some of that day came back to me. When I opened my eyes a dragon fly flew by. It was the only one I saw until we were back on land then I saw another one when we were loading the kayaks back up. That day will always be with me, and there will be times I can't hold it back, but I know I can still take in the beauty and wonder around me and appreciate that I am still alive and it's okay.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

You two! Just about everytime you two get together on the water you forget sunscreen. Witch hazel! Glad you had a good time. Healing

Gray Lady said...

What a beautiful post! I hope you get more days like that.