Monday, August 28, 2006

Hunter's Progress at School..

Thursday Brian went to school and spent 3/4 of the day with Hunter. He got an "in between" face on his daily report. Not all bad, but not good. He really only behaved when Brian was there. Then Friday he had another "in between" day, a parent helper spent most of her time right with him helping control him. Not much better, but I will take what I can get. His therapist has suggested we do a Conner's Scale to rate his behavior at school. She saw signs of him being unable to focus or sit still for any length of time. There is a huge family history on all sides of attention deficit issues, learning problems, and a miriad of other problems. He has an appointment with his pediatrician tomorrow afternoon to discuss the Conner's results and options. Chad had to be on meds for ADHD. He quit taking them when he was a teenager. I think they helped but I had to demand better meds as the military tended to go with the older protocols. A low dose med may help take the edge off. I don't want to be the type of parent who refuses to believe her child has a problem, but I also don't want to jump at the first excuse for the problem either. Today has made it easier for me to accept he may need some type of medication to help him settle down enought to focus. Last night Hunter started having cold symptoms. No fever. So this morning I gave him some cold medicine before he went to school. I got a phone call about noon from his teacher. My first gut reaction was.. "Oh No, I don't have the time or energy to have to go to the school right now!" My heart sank at the sound of his teacher's voice. Until she got to the part that Hunter was having an awesome day! I was so excited.. and so was she, she just had to call me. When I picked him up we were all excited.. he got his first happy face! Then we had karate & I had forgotten his cold medicine. It was due at about 3 pm, when I picked him up from school. By the time he was at Karate class at 4 pm, he was bouncing around and not listening again. His instructor had to speak to him several times throughout class. So I will listen at the Dr. appt tomorrow with more of an open mind about medication. I want Hunter to learn and thrive in his school environment. I want him to have the best possible chance to succeed. And I want to answer my phone when his teacher calls without the dread and disappointment I felt when I first heard her voice today, after 3 weeks of constant problems. Today was a Great Day! He was so happy & proud. We haven't had many days to feel that way, I'll take all I can get!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is Jamie, Nancy's neice, my youngest son has ADHD and slight Autism, and I give him coffee every morning before going to school. It is a stimulant and children with ADHD, it has an adverse reaction and calms them down. My son went from nuts to normal in one day, and he now can sit still and read, watch tv or do anything. You may want to try it, it might just work for you as well.