Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Promises, Promises..

do me a favor... don't make them! I know in most instances promises are made and kept. But here lately that has not been the case! I know "stuff" happens, and some things are beyond our control. I also know the difference between "out of your control" and making bad choices.
This applies to things like the deal with the police department and Brian going to days. Had it been put as "when we have an opportunity to transfer you we will let you know, but we really can't make any promises" that would be different than to constantly say.. in April.. wait .. in May.. wait.. mid July, oops, maybe not til January.
And if you promise to pay something back and it is stipulated that it is needed in a specific time frame...make it a priority to follow through. Don't blow it off once, then twice, then again, and so on, and so on... and of course the flip side of that is ... NEVER loan money you need or expect back. If it isn't disposable income.. don't do it! We know that, but made an exception. That was one of those bad choices I was talking about!
And do your best to never break a promise you make to a child. A promise is a trust. You can build that trust or you can break it. Trust builds confidence, integrity, loyalty. It can also tear those things down when promises are broken.
It is usually with the best of intentions that people make promises. Promises to keep in touch, promises to help out, promises to go to lunch, or see a movie. Promises to repay a loan, promises to replace something lost or broken. Some of those promises seem trivial. Some don't even seem like real promises, so maybe they don't count? Wrong. For me, my life hangs by a fragile thread most of the time. My trust is not easily given. If I count on something promised to me, I truly count on it. My expectations are that my trust in you was valued by you. That you hold as much importance to your promise as I do. So you break more than your promise. You break my trust, my faith in you. And bitch that I am, I leave those broken pieces where they fall. I don't rush to pick them up and put them back together. Right or wrong.. my perception is my reality.
You don't have to like it or agree with it. I'm not asking you to. But know that it is what it is. Consider this my "fed up" phase. Whatever works for you and helps you sleep at night. For those of you not on my shit list.. kudos. For those of you who are, and you know who you are.... I promise you won't get the chance to break a promise to me again.

1 comment:

New Beginnings said...

A person is only as good as their word, my grandmother used to say that...I personally try to keep my word it's the only tangable thing I really have in this life.
If I am one of those people on your list I truly from the bottom of my heart apoligize for I have forgotten what I gave my word on, Old age MJ.