Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Playing Dress Up..

Hunter has quite a few costumes that he & the twins like to dress up and play in. Tristan likes Buzz Lightyear, Hunter likes his Spiderman or Prince Phillip, and Alexa uaually picks The Thing (from Fantastic 4). The boys are playing now, but Alexa didn't want to. They have been full of energy & mischief today while I am drained of all energy and in no mood for their mischief! We had a WIC appointment first thing this morning and they have been going non stop. Alexa was up & down all night last night running a fever, but has no other symptoms. Kierra used to do that when she was little. But Alexa seems fine now, it hasn't slowed her down at all! Brenda came over after her class today and she is laying them down for a nap for me. I was going to try to take them to Ollie Koala's but they are too out of control. Tristan actually asked to go lay down! Hunter has a therapy appt. this afternoon, so maybe things will calm down a little.
I was watching them play dress up and I thought how funny it is that we do that our entire lives. We put on the many "faces" we need, or think we need, to get us through our lives. I know I have to get myself into my "game face" for our court appearances and dealing with the attorneys for Kierra's case. And depending on my mood I have to put on my "social face" sometimes to go to the JACKPOTT meetings or different events. And if I am honest, and I always try to be, then I have to admit I have to put on a face for my friends & family sometimes too. I have even had to put on a "brave face" for myself a time or two. Women in general have to wear the many different hats required to be a wife, mother, a business woman.. whatever the different roles we play. I know I have a dozen different types of clothing in my closet. I have casual, dressy, cruise clothes, cleaning clothes, workout clothes (haha), and even a few "clubbing" clothes. I have clothes I wouldn't leave the house in, and clothes I have only worn once. (even a couple that still have the tags on them!) But it is amazing the mindset I have when I have to select clothes for a specific function, even if it is just a Dr. Appt. Just another way of "dressing" up for who we want to be at any given time. I have had self esteem issues my whole life. I can't say I have been truly happy with myself for all sorts of reasons, although not always rational, they are my feelings. There are alot of times I would love to be someone else, not specifically, just "dress" from a different closet now and then. Live a different life. I know there would be problems and imperfections in that life too, I never said it was a realistic or rational thought, again.. just how I feel sometimes. Today I would love to put on nice comfy PJs and crawl into bed and stay there. I guess that is why Dress Up is all about fantasy!

1 comment:

New Beginnings said...

I agree with you so very much Mari-Jane we as women have to dress for each and every occasion and crisis,the people we live with expect to see us dressed in our we are a happy family outfits and people we don't know expect us to dress in our I fit in outfits, society has made it so that it's not a one size fits all society and the game continues through out generations, the twins and Hunter are just preparing for life.

Take care my dear and when the outfits start to strangle you your more than welcome to come and join my PJ party.