Thursday, November 08, 2007

Give Me A Break!! Really!

Today was a busy day, so after I picked Hunter up from school we went home and got the twins, their sand toys, and Cali. We took the long walk around our block and ended it at the playground. They dug in the sand and played for almost an hour. They filled in their holes and slid down the slides a few more times. Just as we were about to go a big dump truck drove by. Something on it made a very loud metal BANG and the twins covered their ears and yelled, "Too Loud!" which is what they do when something is too loud. Cali tried to jump and run, but got caught up in her leash, which then freaked her out more so she started howling. I didn't want her to hurt herself or scare the kids so I reached for her harness. There is a metal loop where you attach the leash. My left pinky slid into that loop just as Cali twisted away. I felt and heard the snap, grabbed the harness and her with my right hand, and got my finger out. It was sticking out from my hand at an odd angle. I didn't even hesitate, I pulled and pushed it back in place. Of course I screamed and the kids came running. I told them I was fixing my boo boo and we needed to go home. I got them all home, grabbed a towel and some ice and drove myself to the ER. I went to where Brianne works so I could hopefully get through quicker. I dislocated that finger and broke it from the lower knuckle diagonally across up to the middle knuckle. they said it was a good thing I set it back in place so it didn't shift or break through the skin. If I keep it immobile it should heal without having to put pins in it. I have to get to an ortho doc tomorrow to get a set cast. I can't do anything halfway can I?! I turned down pain meds because I just don't take them and figured it couldn't hurt worse than when I set it, right? Okay, wrong! I am calling my doc as soon as they open and I want drugs! So I am off to search my medicine cabinet for some relief. It's all uphill from here, right??

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I know that isn't the 'break' you're looking for....I hope you feel relief soon. Love and miss ya nan

Anonymous said...

When you think all is well, sometimes it isn't and it makes us just a little bit stronger. Keep the faith!!.:) At least you can say there isn't a dull moment around the shore household.