Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's in a name?

The other night my son-in-law was over spending some time with Brianne. I can't even recall what started it, he was probably aggravating Bri or one of the kids.. anywho.. I had already told him to stop at least once, so, as with all my kids, I said Justin Daniel! Stop. He then replied okay Mari-jane _______. (using my middle name) Brian immediately told him "dead man walking!" and Bri & our friend Terry sounded their ooooooohs, and warned him of my wrath.
You see, everyone who really knows me, knows I do not use my middle name, nor does anyone else. My middle name is after my grandmother who I love dearly. She passed away when I was expecting Brianne. She was my lifeboat when I was a child. I don't know that it is so much that I don't like the name really, maybe it is more that I can't possibly live up to it. It has been a long running family secret that really isn't a secret. Everyone usually gives out hints until it is guessed. I threatened Justin to list all the things he has done in 6 years to annoy me besides using my middle name outloud.. the list is long, but I will let him off the hook this time, only this time, because it allowed me to pause and think of her, my Nana, for a few more seconds than I have had time for in a while. She had heart, she had spunk, she had so much love. I got that from her, along with her name.....Mildred.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no he didn't!

MJ said...

I know, right? Seriously?

Anonymous said...

WOW! you actually wrote it, OOOH! I DARE ANYONE TO EVEN SAY IT OUT LOUD, NOT I SAID THE CAT

Anonymous said...

It's better then ROSIETTA RODIRUEIZ FROM LITTLE HAVNNA

Nancy said...

OMG! He is in such trouble!!! oooooooooo

Nancy said...

Besides you're more like her then you think