Thursday, February 19, 2009

A blurred moment..

The little ones have been so worried about their Brianne. She was discharged from the hospital last night and came to our house so she can have someone with her the first few days until she is steady on her feet. The concussion seems to be the hardest part to deal with right now.
Terri & Dwight picked the kids up from school and kept them until I had her home and settled. I went and picked them up and let Justin spend some alone time with Bri.
On our way home I reminded the kids that they would have to be quiet and be careful with Brianne for a few days. Alexa said "yea, because she has a broken head." Then they started asking questions about her injury and how they fixed it. They can't quite understand about the staples they used for her cut. And they think she should have a purple cast on her head til it gets better.
They did quite well trying to be quiet. I think seeing her and seeing that she is okay has helped them alot. It is scary to be little and have someone grown up get seriously hurt. And to trust when everyone tells you they will be okay. It is more comforting to see for yourself.
Mornings are the toughest for Bri right now. The dizziness and nausea are at their worst then. We finally got her feeling well enough to get in the tub and get a hot bath, and to finally get all the dried blood out of her hair late this morning. She ate some soup and is resting. Pain meds are a wonderful thing.
It was the strangest sensation in the early hours this morning to hear her whisper "Mommy?" I was on the couch and have an intercom set up. I went right in. She had slept through the next dose of pain med and the headache was in full force. Tonight I will set an alarm to make sure she gets it every 4 hours. I got her meds and rubbed her back. In the first instant when she called me it was like when she was a young child and would call out for me in the night. When you are half asleep listening for them it can be a blurred moment in time when you hear that voice and have to think of where, and when, you are.
I am glad I can be here for her and with her while she gets better. I am proud of the kids for being able to understand that she needs me and I may be stretched a little thin. They can be little grownups when they have to be.
I will update everyone as we go. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

That blurred moment in time, sure gives me blurry eyes