Sunday, January 13, 2008

H. Pylori

Helicobacter pylori is a helical shaped Gram-negative bacterium that infects various areas of the stomach and duodenum. Many cases of peptic ulcers, gastritis, duodenitis, and perhaps cancer are caused by H. pylori infection. However, many who are infected do not show any symptoms of disease. Helicobacter spp. are the only known microorganisms that can thrive in the highly acidic environment of the stomach. Its helical shape (from which the genus name is derived) is thought to have evolved to penetrate and favor its motility in the mucus gel layer.

This is the latest thing my doctors have found me to have. I have some minor symptoms, but nothing major. So I am on Nexium and mega doses of antibiotics. I am supposed to avoid ongoing stress & coffee. (LOL) Always something! I see my hand doc tomorrow, I will let you know what they say..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! at least you can still have your tea at starbucks