Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Those who still don't know..

There have been a select few who we were not able to get in touch with about Kierra's accident. For any one I could not reach by phone I sent a letter and a memorial card. There were a couple I did not have an accurate address or phone number for. Jezell was one of those "lost". She was looking for our information on the internet the other day and saw the news stories about Kierra.
I wish I could have spared her finding out that way..
Jezell came into our lives through a program in New York called "The Fresh Air Fund" They send inner city kids to volunteer familes throughout the state to give them a break from the city and an opportunity to see what life is like some where else. It was the summer of 1989 I think, or maybe 1990, I will have to check the dates on our pictures. I don't think she was very happy at first, but Jezell & Kierra clicked right away and she settled right into our family. It was hard to send her back to her family in the Bronx, but we kept in touch by mail and phone calls.
Then in July 1991 we convinced Jezell's mom to let her come visit us in England. We took her to castle ruins and sight seeing, and all too soon we had to send her back home again. It was 1999 or 2000 before we saw Jezell again. She came through town when her cousin was moving and spent a few days with us. The kids and I took her to Universal Studios and she & Kierra went to Pleasure Island the night we stayed over. It was strange to see them all grown up!
Then Jezell was moving between New York and her Aunt's in Connecticut and the Bronx. We moved as well, so the communication got lost in the process. I had been trying all the phone numbers and addresses I had for over a year now to let her know about Brianne's wedding, but her Mom & Aunt had moved too. We have all missed her. This is a hard way to have her come back to us. It is hard to have her so far away..
She calls me Momma MJ, she is my Peurto Rican baby... Welcome home sweetie..

No comments: