Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Written Word..

I recently had an email that wasn't supposed to be meant the way it was written. In the past few weeks I have had a text message that struck me the same way and I am hoping wasn't meant the way I took it either. The problem with the written word is the lack of communication. The communication of tone, of intention, of emotion. Sometimes there is too much emotion in the words that are written. No matter how the writer felt, the reader can't help but read it with their own emotions, whatever they are. And once on paper, you can't really take it back. It is there, in the eye of the reader, in their mind and memory in the manner they took it, wether you meant it that way or not.
How easy it is to spew forth with words of hurt, or anger. How easy to vent on whoever happens to read it. How easy to put down on paper something our conscience might hesitate to let come out of our mouth. How much easier to not be in audience as the words sink in and the reader shows the emotion caused by what you have written. How easy to be absent from the consequences of your words. An apology for something said seems to be easier to accept than one for something written and sent to someone.. via email or snail mail. Damage is done much deeper it seems when it is written. Wounds seem harder to heal.
I try to be careful of that here. There are things I have posted here and elsewhere that may seem harsh, but I wrote them willing to take responsibility for those words because they were how I felt, and my intent was clear. I did not and do not regret writing them. That is the choice we make when we write. To own what we put down, good, bad, or indifferent.
I have things saved from over 25 years ago. One I would like to think the writer regrets. I also have love letters from Brian, notes from my children (good & bad), journals I wrote in a different place and time. Watch what words you say, and write. Once out there they have a life of their own..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is true, sometimes, e-mails and txt's come across the wrong way. once bitten it can't be taken back. as you never know how long you have. You, think you have the rest of your life, but, the other person may not and then you have to live with what you said the rest of your life and you can't change it.