Tuesday, March 03, 2009

What's Cookin'

I made a huge pot of spaghetti and some awesome sauce the other day. So today I made up 3 pans of meat & cheese lasagna and 2 pans of cheese stuffed manicotti. I used up just about all the sauce and I still have alot of spaghetti left over, so now I am thinking of making some chicken tetrazzini with that. I have containers I got through the monthly cooking club I am in so it makes it easy to fill them up and freeze them. Easy to label too. They cancelled our meeting for this month so I already have the meals for April done & in the freezer. Sometimes I just get in the mood to cook. It fills the house with comforting smells and reminds me of my Grammy Blomgren's house. She always had something in the oven or on the stove. I haven't always been a very good cook. It has been a long process. I enjoy cooking, I enjoy it when other people enjoy what I cook. The kids all have their own aprons and enjoy doing things with me in the kitchen too. I got Hunter his first cookbook for Christmas. That's something I never shared with my mother. She had too many children and had to work. My Grammy B. gave me the basics and I loved to watch her in the kitchen. Her Turkey Croquettes with Egg Sauce is one of my favorite recipes. I used to call her when I was first married to get recipes for everything. I still have them. She made everything from scratch. My friend Nancy visited with her when she lived with my parents in Tennessee. I asked her to record my grandmother sharing stories. I still have that recording. One story was about her and a friend going to the grocery store. Cooking dinner took hours back in those days and they really wanted to do some frivolous shopping. There were some new canned biscuits at the store so they decided to try them. They put their groceries in the car and went off to enjoy some spare time together. On returning to the car they were suprised and a bit shocked to find something all over the inside of the car windows. They soon discovered their new cans of biscuits had exploded all over the car! So they not only had a mess to clean up, but then had to rush to make biscuits for dinner. She laughed retelling the story and I am so glad I was able to record that memory. She was an awesome lady and I miss her.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I love that memory! And your cooking...