Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Do I "work"?

The time flys by and things happen, life happens and you don't know where it all went. I often think of when the older kids were little. I think about the kind of parent I was, how I handled things back then. I think about the choices we make in parenting and how even the smallest thing makes a difference in how we influence a child and what type of person they will become. I worry, as most parents do, if I make the right choices. We all know the definite right and wrongs. Yet there are so many little things that are so gray in color, it can be hard to know the "right" choice to make in parenting. I know I do not do things the way I did when the older kids were small. Life is different, it is a different time, I am different. But there are some things I do the same and feel strongly about that will not change. There is no rule book. There is no easy button. It doesn't matter how many children you raise, or have raised, they are all individuals and each have their own personalities. What works with one, may not work with another.
There is no perfect parent, and no perfect child. It is constantly a work in progress. I am still learning from them and learning with them. I have to remind myself sometimes that it is ok to make a choice others may not agree with. I am living this life, I am making the choices the best way I know how. No matter what you do or how you do it, there are days that being a parent will just plain suck. So you move forward and keep going and enjoy the good days when they come and appreciate that you have the ability to learn, to grow, to make a difference. Bad days are only as bad as you let them be. Dwell on it, or let it go. We can't go back and change it, so go forward and make changes as needed.
Everything in life is work. Marriage, parenting, family, jobs.. nothing is a cake walk. The rewards are as great as you let them be. There are times I see so much clearer what is good in my life. Other times it can be a bit foggy and harder to see. Grief can put blinders on you and limit your vision. It can block out so much light that everything becomes gray. It has been a long journey and there may still be times when the fog rolls in, but I refuse to let those blinders block my view.
Do I wish I could go back and erase the difficult times I had with Kierra? Or with any of my children? I can think I may have avoided that conflict/ confrontation, but I know there would have been another around the next corner. You can second guess yourself on every choice you have ever made.. and waste alot of time and energy. I will continue to make the choices I feel are right as a parent. I will not slack off on my convictions to avoid making a child unhappy or mad at me. They will get over it and so will I. Those unhappy moments will be slim compared to the happy ones. Again, I can dwell on them or let them go.
It is so important to have the support of the person parenting with you. A united front is so much stronger than standing divided. Kids are smart, and they know how to push your buttons and work any weakness in your defenses. Sounds like a tactical battle doesn't it? Well, sometimes, especially in the teen years, it can be. It helps to have someone on your side, who can balance you when you go off kilter, or when you are worn out from the emotional toll parenting can take form you.
I can be just as exhausted from a problem free, good day with the kids, as I can from a chaotic, problem ridden day. When even the simplest decision is more than I want to make. Having Brian there to take over or pick up the slack can really be a lifesaver for me. And for the kids too. It helps me look foward to the years ahead with more anticipation than hesitation. To look forward to the fun times, knowing I can handle it when it is not so fun to be a parent.
I am often asked the question.. "Do you work?" I usually say no, I stay at home with my children. But that isn't true. I have one of the hardest jobs on earth. It is a challenging job. A job worth having, worth sharing. It is a job I sometimes take for granted. A job with unlimited benefits. A job that even when I need a coffee break, I am ready, when it is over, to get back to it.
So with a smile, let me say.... Hi Ho, Hi Ho.. off to work I go!

No comments: