Sunday, July 22, 2007

Barney's new theme song..

The Electric Slide... it's electric! I had intended to let Brianne ride Barney while we were all at the ranch last weekend. I was looking forward to riding their new Percheron, Lola. I usually don't get on Barney until we are all ready to go because he gets ansy when there are alot of other horses around. Well, Brian needed a new girth for his horse so we all had to wait. Brianne had already gotten on Barney & I was already on Lola. Barney started prancing and wouldn't listen to Brianne. She kept trying to get him away from the fence and he kept turning the opposite way and then backing up. I noticed he was getting more and more aggravated, so I tried to get off Lola. She had started getting tired of waiting too, so every time I started to get off she would move forward. And the more I tried to move Lola toward Barney, the more agitated he got until he backed himself all the way into the fence.. an electric fence! It took him a full second or two to realize it, and then he bolted forward, causing Brianne to drop one of the reins, which can be dangerous for both of them. She regained control just as I finally said screw it and got off Lola while she was moving. She realized while I was swinging down that I was getting off and finally stopped. I gave her to Brian and went over and got Barney. I got on him and after a minor attitude adjustment (almost running him into the pond.. he hates water!) he finally straightened up and did great. It all boiled down to him not wanting any other rider but me and not wanting me near another horse. I am having some of the staff there work with him and I will work with him when I go back up as well. I don't want him to become so solitary and posessive. He has been acting up when we are around other horses, but Brianne had ridden him before and so has Brian so I didn't think it would be a problem. This is a new issue. The only casualty was a pair of my sunglasses that broke when I got off Lola. So Barney has a new theme song!

No comments: