Sunday, September 03, 2006

Family, Friends, & Food..

I am so fortunate to have my sister, Greta, living close to me. I am also fortunate to have some of my friends nearby too. I had an impromptu cook out today. I missed those who couldn't make it, but really enjoyed those who could. The kids were wound up and if it hadn't been so hot outside they could have played out on their playground, but they couldn't, so they were a little wired and alot ornary! Yet even with the chaos, it was food for my soul. I love cooking and feeding people. It means alot to me for them to enjoy it. I don't eat Salmon, but it is one of the things I always fix for everyone else and seems to be a big hit. I alwasy fix several options so there is something for everyone.
Yet the food is secondary for me. It is the unity of coming together. The commitment it takes to set aside that time to spend with someone. Having the house full of people I care about. The love & the laughter that is so evident in the simplest of gestures.
I freeze frame things in my mind;
*Rick standing over the grill. Simple isn't it? I don't usually let people help. Rick is a big, imposing (looking) guy. He can be rough and brusque, and usually is.. yet he can be so caring & tender, and you know it is genuine. Kierra always said he was just like Shrek..layers..lots & lots of layers!
*Randy wearing the mask to Hunter's "thing" costume, with his hat on, which somehow made it look real.. and him playing peek a boo with Alexa with it from accross the room. Randy has had major health issues, we almost lost him Dec. 2004. Another big, imposing looking guy who can be a badass when he wants to be, but has a heart of gold. Although they had their differences at times, Kierra adored him, and he adored her.
*Greta sharing her soda, and any food she tried to eat (tried being the key word!) with the kids. She is the epitomy of the title "Nana". Our family is not close, too many kids, too many differences. Too many hard heads and bad tempers! Yet from this same gene pool Greta emerged with such a gentle & generous heart. I teased her once about being a ping pong ball.. bouncing back & forth trying to keep everyone happy. She really is a peacemaker, and I mean that in a good way. She does it with the children too. I wouldn't trade her for the world!
* Dori & Nancy sitting on the couch in the midst of kiddie chaos. Multi tasking between carrying on a conversation with each other and givng the kids attention as it was demanded.. often! I think of how different they are, how different we all are, yet our friendship transcends all that. It is hard for some people to understand that most of my friendships are decades long. I have close friends who live all over the country, and several scattered accross Florida as well. Those connections mean something to me. I don't give myself easily, (quit snickering girls! I mean emotionally!) so when I do, it usually sticks.
*Terri & her daughter Savannah.. showing off their pedicured and painted toes.. and sitting next to each other at the table talking about college. Savannah is defintitely her own person, but I still get a sense of "mini me" when I see her with Terri. Not just the physical resemblance, but alot of the same mannerisms & opinions. This was Savannah's first visit home from college so they were making a day of it.. pedicures, our house, then shopping. They have always been a huge help with the kids. And whatever I have decided to do or take on, Terri has given her support, advice, and a helping hand where needed, no questions asked.. well, okay, there are always questions.. and usually they are damn good questions. The kind you thought about for an instant then decided to avoid.. so she asks them, and even though she doesn't demand an answer, it makes you face the questions head on.
Life keeps changing and we all seem to adjust and move on. Hmm, not really move on, that implies distance, seperation.. we move forward, knowing that we are one of many passengers traveling together, sometimes different destinations, but always on the same train.. hop on, we have plenty of room, and hopefully, a long way to go..

1 comment:

Nancy said...

It's been quite a beautiful ride on this train. It'll be that much more rich as time continues and more people are added. Love ya