Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This Life...

I was talking to my Mom today. She has a computer, but just uses it for the basics. She has Macular Degeneration in both eyes, so although it is improving, it is hard for her to read small print. We were talking about my needing to write her cousin, we call her "Aunt" Florence. They were both the only child in their families and are each other's only living blood relative. Anywho, Aunt Flo does not use the computer. She is a self proclaimed writer and poet and quite the critic to everyone else's efforts. And I must say, quite eccentric.
I explained to my Mom that the blog has become my main communication to almost everyone I know, so I have gotten out of the habit of writing good old fashioned letters. I have a friend in Michigan, Sher, who does not get on the computer much and I really need to write her. I was thinking of printing off the blog and sending it, but that may be a bit overwhelming!
My Mom is not so keen on the whole Blog thing. She thinks it is too personal to be put "out there". She is of a generation that would never air their laundry.. dirty or otherwise. Yet my Mother is a poet. She recently self published quite a nice collection of poetry about life, love, kids, and her faith. Some are cute, some serious, some sad. I consider that sharing some pretty personal stuff, and she agrees. She said that was the hardest part about her choice to publish it. It started out for us kids, then friends and people she knew at church got interested. So although not widespread, she has "gone public". She chose and edited what she put in her book of prose, so I guess that censored alot of what she shared.
I do censor some things, believe it or not! There are things I have held back and things I have decided not to mention. More because I do not think what I feel should always be up for debate, and some things involving other people are between them and me, to some degree. This is a form of therapy for me. I have always journaled, kept a diary so to speak. This is much easier and quicker. It allows me to let the words flow without hesitation. To really look inside myself without waiting for my pen in hand to catch up with the rush of thoughts and feelings flowing from my mind. It is a smoother, easier process. Which means it is a brutally honest process as well. I often tell the people in my life.. "If you don't really want to know, don't ask me!" Because if you ask me, I will tell you, and you may not like what you hear. So it goes that I am sometimes too honest for some people to accept. As I have said multiple times.. It is what it is. I said in my very first entry.. I can't promise what you will find here.. and I still can't, 227 entries later. Because each day is new and each day is different than it was before. And I am still learning how to live this life.. Life Without Kierra.

No comments: