Friday, February 17, 2006

My Left Foot..

It has been brought to my attention that I have failed to mention my broken foot..
About a month ago I took Hunter, Alexa, & Tristan to Sam's with me to do some shopping and get us all out of the house. It was an adventure! I was getting something off the shelf and when I went to put it in the cart, there was Tristan leaning over the edge of the cart trying to pick up a very large bulk size can of mixed vegetables, He couldn't lift it but had moved it very close to the edge. He was leaning way over, even with the safety belt on, so I grabbed him and set him up straight in the seat, which left the can to it's own struggle with gravity. The end result was the can landing on my foot. It all happened in a blink of an eye and I was helpless to stop it.
It hurt like hell and I debated getting it looked at. The debate went on for 2 weeks until I stepped wrong on some pebbles. I didn't twist my foot, but it rolled to the side. I heard and felt the "rice krispy" thing happen.. snap, crackle & pop.
I already had a Dr. appt. for that afternoon about a chronic cough (Bronchial Asthma), so I had my foot checked. A seperated break of the 2 outer metatarsals and a hair line fracture of the third. My cuboid bone shows stress but no break. They don't think the break would have seperated had I not walked on it for 2 weeks...( I can hear you all saying DUH!). I am in a "fracture control brace", which is mostly metal and uncomfortable. They said to cast it would encourage me to walk on it ( another DUH.. I do anyway) but I also have to have it checked every week for progression. The damage is done, so they don't feel the cast would make a difference over the brace. I use a cane or one crutch if I am walking alot, which is about as close to not using the foot as I am going to get. So there, I mentioned it!

No comments: