Saturday, February 25, 2006

Just one of those days!

Some things about parenting have changed over the years, but somethings have not changed at all! Like how children demand your attention the minute you get on the phone. Or no matter the age difference, siblings will argue! And no matter how close 2 children may be, they will still fight about everything and nothing. I have had 2 discussions with Dori the past week that were very reminiscent of conversations I would try to have with friends many, many years ago when the older 3 were young. I am half talking to the person on the phone and half correcting or directing the kids. So most conversations are short and sweet, or just short if the kids really misbehave!
Really misbehaving seems to be in Tristan's plans lately. Poor Alexa has the bruises to show for it. He threw a toy at her last week and barely missed her eye. But hit hard enough to give her one heck of a shiner. Then a couple days later he hit her with another toy and bruised her cheek. Both times he was removed from the play area and had to tell her he was sorry. The toy hitting stopped, then today he bit her on her face, bad enough to leave open teeth marks on her lip and just between her lip & chin. I had to get liquid band-aid to close it up. They were supposed to be taking a nap. Tristan never sleeps as much as Alexa, so them sharing a room is not the greatest choice, but at the moment is the only choice we have.
I can vividly recall the other kids tormenting each other and all had their share of bruises. The terrible twos are here!! Then I have Chad at 19 constantly arguing with Hunter who is 5. I can't blame it on a full moon, and I know it will come and go, is normal, blah, blah, blah. Today was just one of those days. Hunter is just getting over being sick and the twins take turns having colds, so we all have a case of cabin fever. Cold, rainy weather doesn't help.
There were moments of calm.. Hunter playing with Alexa and trying to help her feel better. Hunter sharing his blanket on the couch while they watched a movie. The twins sitting on my lap with their heads on my shoulders. Tristan trying to brush Alexa's hair and mine. Hunter trying to teach Tristan & Alexa how to use walkie talkies, and when they couldn't figure it out, he would hide around the corner and sing to them through it.
Now they are all sleeping their angelic sleep, looking sweet and innocent, even Tristan. This day is nearing it's end and I will try to leave it here and move forward to tomorrow. I am hoping the mood of the day will be better than today! I am off to clean the physical chaos that is my house, and try to rest the emotional chaos that is my mind.

No comments: