Friday, February 17, 2006

Faraway Friends..

I am blessed to have most of my oldest, dearest friends living fairly close to me. I also have "faraway friends" who don't live near me and I don't get to see nearly as often as I would like. Yet I know no matter how much time passes, it feels like coming home to see them again. It is comfy and safe and like we've never been apart.
My friend of almost 30 years, Terry Moore, was here visiting from near Miami for a few days. We have gone through alot with each other's lives and I know no matter what, she is always there for me. She just blends in with our family. She helped with the kids, cleaned the play area (several times!), and didn't hesitate to change diapers. We talked and shared memories, of our lives and Kierra's. She joked with Brian and Chad and made Hunter feel special. She has such a kind and loving spirit, it was great to have her here.
The twin's Godmother, Brenda, watched them for me yesterday. She had met us at the mall the day before. It was good to see her and talk to her. The twins adore her and were so excited to see her. Kierra was alot like me, she had alot of friends. Some were casual, and a few were long term, family type friends. Brenda is, and will always be, the family type friend. She is like another daughter to me. She has had a rough time since losing Kierra and has learned, the hard way, the true value of friendship. Brenda gives too much of herself too easily. I told her Kierra knew who her real friends were, and who the users were. And deep down people know which ones they are. "Scrape em off Claire" is a line from the movie "Scrooged" with Bill Murray. We watch that movie every Thanksgiving, it is a family joke. Kierra loved that movie. So... scrape em off Brenda, they just aren't worth it!
I got the chance the week before to share myself with Debbie Ficocelli. It is the first time we have really talked since Kierra's death. She is one of those Long term friends I was talking about. We get busy with our lives and can go a while without seeing or talking to each other, but then it is just like yesterday, no time has passed at all. She shared so much of Kierra's life with me from the time Kierra was about a year old. I didn't have to explain how or what I was feeling, she was right there with me. I am fortunate to have most of my friends close by, so they have gone through all this with me from the beginning. But Deb hadn't and it was good to cleanse our souls a little. We laughed, we cried, it was just what we needed.
I spent a little time with my friend Vicky too, not as much as we would have liked, but we take what we can get! She has known Brian since they were teenagers. I have kind of taken over that friendship.. like a hermit crab moving into a shell that already has an occupant, I sort of pushed my way in and have been there ever since. Vic has always accepted me as is. Another friend that we can go awhile without seeing each other or talking, but when we get together, it is like always.
It takes a village to raise a child, and a multitude of friends to help you grow as a person. Thank you to the many I have who raise my spirit every day.

No comments: