Sunday, April 05, 2009

Cheeseburger Meat Loaf

*A Paula Deen, Lady & Sons recipe. A real crowd pleaser. I sometimes omit the onion & bell pepper & add some onion powder if I am feeding picky eaters, comes out great either way. I also use "Morton Nature's Seasoning" in place of the House Seasoning listed in the recipe. There is also a sauce to go with it, (recipe below) but it is just as good without it. Serves 6-8.

INGREDIENTS
2 lbs Ground Beef (I use about a lb beef, and a lb pork)
2 tsp House Seasoning (recipe below)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium bell pepper, chopped
1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 cup Sour Cream
1 cup crushed Ritz Crackers
1 teaspoon Lawry's seasoned Salt
8-10 slices of bread (I use 8 when I make a square loaf)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix all ingredients except bread slices. Shape into loaf. Use baking pan, not a loaf pan. Line pan with bread slices, place meat loaf on top. Bake loaf for 45-60 minutes. (I cook it for the full hour and it is done all the way through.) The bread absorbs any grease and should be discarded after loaf is removed from the oven.

SAUCE
One 10 3/4 oz can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 soup can measure of milk
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar Cheese

Heat soup & Milk over medium heat; add cheese. Pour over meat loaf, or pass at the table.

* House Seasoning Recipe (makes quite a bit & is great in anything)
1 cup Salt, 1/4 cup Black Pepper, 1/4 cup Garlic Powder. Mix together well. Store in a shaker container near the stove for convenience.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is my fave, along with the mash potatoes I remember we had it for what 3 nights and I didn't even care as long as we had the mash potatoes I was thrilled.