Monday, July 14, 2008

The ties that bind us..

I have been noticing and thinking alot about "bonds". It started with my 2 fillies I just moved down from Georgia. They were at the same barn for a month before I moved them, but were not worked together or stalled together. Since the move they have become inseperable. Literally. I took The yearling, Reese, to the front barn to fix her halter the other day. Tortuga, the 2 year old, I left at the back part of the property. They neighed and whinnied at each other back and forth. I put Reese in a stall in the front barn to take off her halter. It may have been because she couldn't see her, but Tortuga, who is a draft horse and weighs over 1000 lbs, started running to the back of the property. I watched her and didn't think much of it until she circled around a tree and headed back toward the front fence at a full gallop. I yelled at her to stop, to no avail. I was worried she would charge the fence and hurt herself when it broke. She vaulted the fence! I haven't seen a horse jump that high before. She cleared it without touching the top rail at all! And out of the three fences she could have jumped, she was smart enough to jump the section that put her closest to the front barn. She came to me and I put her in the stall next to Reese until I was done. I made sure she didn't hurt her legs at all. It can do major damage for a horse that size to land on their front legs with all their weight coming down behind them. I am hoping she won't make a habit of it now that she knows she can do it. And I will be working them together for awhile to see if they settle down about being together. Barney & Lenny became best buds when we moved them too. It amazes me that they all have formed such a strong bond so fast.

I think of Greta and I and in turn think of Kie & Bri. I think of my friendships past & present. I think of the connections we make throughout our lives. Some bonds were made in an instant, some grew stronger over time.

Some are tested to see if they are truly strong enough and some have broken down over the years. Then there are the bonds that last longer than the lives that made them.
Bonds feed our heart, they motivate our soul. Good, bad, or indifferent, these are the ties that bind us, that hold us to the life we live and the people we live it with.
There are a select few I wouldn't jump a fence for.. but so many more of you I would jump that fence for over and over again!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

and you have. Miss ya.