Thursday, October 05, 2006

Shattered Glass..

I have tried before to verbalize what it feels like when your life is changed forever. It isn't just a feeling really. In that moment you can actually hear and feel something break inside you. The closest I can come to describing it is.. shattering glass. An explosive, expanding, shattering of glass. It isn't always just from major events like Kierra's death. Sometimes it is the unexpected. Sometimes it is a simple knowledge of someone or something that catches you from left field. And in that moment of knowledge, you can feel something inside you shatter. Into thousands of pieces of broken glass. And with it comes the knowledge that it will never be whole again. And I have to wonder, how many pieces of me can be broken before nothing is left? I can replace that part of myself with something else, something false, something that appears to be mended. But it will never be the same. I can keep trying to pick up the pieces in the hope that somehow the shards that cut me can heal me too, but I don't believe they will.....

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I have often questioned how many times a heart can break before it can no longer be repaired. I really don't want to know. I'd rather know how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop! Just know at least at this point the shattered glass has many colors and they're all beautiful no matter what.

Nancy said...

Of course you didn't think I wouldn't comment on a title like that....